Welcome!

Open discussion about books, or life outside of books (how boring).
TheBookMaester
Grand Maester

Welcome!

Postby TheBookMaester » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:35 pm

Thanks for visiting the Citadel! Welcome! 8-) Please read the "Forum Rules" thread on the Announcements forum over on the Isle of Ravens (yes, I'm a nerd).

Introduce yourself! Who are you? What do you like to read? What other hobbies do you have? What keeps you busy?

I'll go first! I'm Brittany, also known as the Book Maester. I will read anything you put in front of me...but I mostly enjoy fantasy, crime thrillers, and historical fiction... And I'll admit it, young adult stuff. I'm 26, so I think that's still ok, but I'm not sure what the cutoff age is. I really, really, really want to read more classical literature - I have only really ever read classics that were required for school. I buy a lot of them because they look so nice on my bookshelf... But then I fail at reading them. As far as other hobbies go, I like listening to music (which is great, because I can still read), teaching myself about computer-related stuff... I'm trying to build up an editing portfolio, and would love to one day be a freelance editor. And my husband, work, and school are what keep me the busiest and take me away from my reading time!

Now I want to meet you! Please tell me a little about yourself.
Last edited by TheBookMaester on Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Stickit!
~The Book Maester~
JLZenor
Archmaester

Re: Welcome!

Postby JLZenor » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:40 pm

My name is Jon, but I go by J.L. Zenor, famous author. Well... author.

I enjoy fantasy and science fiction books, and I really don't care about what format they are in, however ebooks get read faster just due to their convenience factor.

Uhm... I'm also a geek, starship captain, and sometimes I dabble in website programming and gaming. I don't know... what else do you want to know about me? :P

And as for enjoying YA books, Brittany, nothing wrong with that. Everyone who is "young at heart" or just enjoys great stories enjoys YA. :P
TheBookMaester
Grand Maester

Postby TheBookMaester » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:32 pm

You meant to say internationally renowned, or even world-famous.

I'm 100% with you on the ebook thing. I love physical books, but it's so much easier to read from my phone app ... In line, in bed (sitting at a red light).

I'm so glad I'm not a weirdo, because I really do like those darn YA books, and I've had to fight the shame I feel in making it known.

If you could only choose one book (besides the Bible) to ever read again in your life, what would it be?
~The Book Maester~
JLZenor
Archmaester

Postby JLZenor » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:31 pm

TheBookMaester wrote:(sitting at a red light).

Haha! :lol:

TheBookMaester wrote:If you could only choose one book (besides the Bible) to ever read again in your life, what would it be?

:cry: What would be the point? You can only read one book so many times. Reading it a hundred times would get boring. So I'd probably give up on reading at that point. Or just write my own books. :P

Now, if you said I had to stick with one series, that might be a little different. The Star Wars series has a ton of books. But eventually you would reach the end. Rereading those over and over would be interesting, because you start to see how things tie together and stuff.
TheBookMaester
Grand Maester

Postby TheBookMaester » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:25 am

... Yes to writing your own books, absolutely. And I would rather have one book to read than no books, even if I read it a hundred thousand million times.

I do like the series idea, though, because I could reread those for the reasons you said.

I can't answer this question, though. I could not pick a book. I would tell someone to choose for me, and I would hope it was one I hadn't read, and one that actually was really good and engaging and had a lot of hidden details for me to unravel each time I read it.
~The Book Maester~
JLZenor
Archmaester

Postby JLZenor » Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:35 pm

TheBookMaester wrote:I can't answer this question, though. I could not pick a book. I would tell someone to choose for me, and I would hope it was one I hadn't read, and one that actually was really good and engaging and had a lot of hidden details for me to unravel each time I read it.

The Dresden Files. :D

Return to “General chat”